Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Baby Boy Nursery

Before I even found out we were having a boy I knew I wanted to use yellow and gray in the nursery.  I also was a big fan of chevron (like everyone else with a pinterest account) and wanted to incorporate that into the nursery as well.  I'm not a fan of the typical bedding sets from stores like babies 'r' us and such so I wanted to avoid anything remotely close to those looks as possible! (side note- I was a public health nurse before becoming a stay at home mom and part of my job was to educate others about the risks of crib bumpers, crib mobiles, blankets in cribs etc... So of course I followed those same guidelines when creating my son's nursery) The best way to do this was to DIY most of the nursery.  We started with painting the walls gray and decided to paint one of the walls yellow (where the crib would go). 

Cribs skirt & pillow made by The Knotty Sisters (pillow removed before nighttime)


I purchased a couple wooden crates from Michaels and painted them white then stacked them to make bookshelves.  In the future when we turn his room into a big boy room I plan to stack them under the double window and add a cushion to the top to make a window seat.


I made a scrapbook paper mobile to hang above the changing table.  It was so easy it almost doesn't need instructions.  To make it you need scrapbook paper, fishing wire, double sided tape, scissors and an embroidery hoop in the size of your choice. 



My husband made this growth chart ruler, which we plan to use to mark our son's height on each of his birthdays.  It looks great on this skinny section of the wall!

don't mind the mess in the background!


I, of course, crocheted the blanket in matching nursery room colors and to this day my son LOVES that blanket.  There is just something about it, maybe the soft yarn or maybe he knows his mom made it for him :) 

blanket by The Knotty Sisters

 
Here is a close up of one of the shelves I painted for his room.  I really like the pop of yellow in that gray corner. 

Plane coin bank is from FAO Schwarz

So, there you have it, the majority of my son's nursery.  I can't believe it's soon going to be time to plan his big boy room!



1 comment: