Tuesday, January 14, 2014

DIY Non Toxic Finger Paints



Finger painting is a messy fun way to get through these long cold days with your toddler.  I knew I didn't want to buy finger paints from the store so I decided to make my own (and to make sure they were non toxic).  I found a few recipes online and combined them to make a recipe of my own. It was so easy to make and I already had the ingredients in my kitchen. 


You will need:
1.5 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup  cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 cups of cold water 
 Food coloring in your choice of colors


 Place all of the ingredients (except food coloring) into a pot on the stove. Mix the ingredients on low heat for 10-15 minutes.  The mixture will start out watery and end up thickening to a consistency perfect for finger paint.  Remove the mixture from the stove and let it cool.  Once it has cooled down divide it into separate dishes (for as many colors as you plan to use- I used glass baby food jars which make it easy to store the leftover finger paint in).  Drop a few drops of food coloring into each dish and stir, continue adding food coloring until you are happy with the color. Then paint away! 


No comments:

Post a Comment