Friday, January 31, 2014

Healthy Toddler Snacks- baked carrot snack sticks





We found out the very scary way a few months ago that my 1 year old son had some pretty severe food allergies (peanut and tree nuts) and as a result my husband and I decided to make some more changes to our diets.  I always knew the US food supply was, well disgusting and poisoned (those are the first two words that come to my mind, yuck!) but I was just too lazy to do anything more than throw some organic foods into my shopping cart every once in a while.

 But, after my son's food allergy diagnosis I knew I had to get serious about healthy eating.  (More on why I feel processed foods and GMO's cause food allergies, as well as how we are dealing with our son's life threatening food allergies in a future post).  A friend of mine let me borrow the book "The Unhealthy Truth" by Robyn O'Brien and it changed.our.lives.  In the book, the author makes a point to say that you can't completely cut out GMO's and processed foods in an instant, that is unrealistic, instead she urges you to set goals for healthy eating and stick to them.  For example, we decided we would immediately cut out all food dyes and high fructose corn syrup.  Those are pretty easy to avoid when you are paying attention to food labels.  Next up was to not feed our son anymore processed snacks, that means no baby cheese doodles, baby puffs, goldfish etc...  So, I looked around online for some new recipes to make all of his snacks and have a whole list lined up to try!  I will share them all with you and let you know how they turned out, and if my son likes them or not.

The first recipe I tried was carrot snack sticks.  The recipe can be found here.  I found it on Pinterest -click here to follow my healthy baby snacks board.  I thought these were very easy to make, and my son LOVES them.  I definitely plan to make a lot more of these (you can even freeze the dough).  An even better way to make these will be with garden fresh carrots (if summer ever gets here!).




No comments:

Post a Comment